Re: [Tails-dev] Please review and merge feature/obfsproxy

Author: anonym
To: The Tails public development discussion list
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] Please review and merge feature/obfsproxy
03/11/12 09:08, intrigeri wrote:
> Hi,
>
> anonym wrote (02 Nov 2012 20:26:34 GMT) :
>> Basic (perhaps even experimental as it currently lacks documentation)
>> support for obfsproxy has been added in the branch feature/obfsproxy.
>> Please review and merge it into devel.
>
> We agreed at the Tails summit to not merge new features before their
> documentation is ready. For the record, this is what allows us to
> squeeze the delay before feature freeze + RC1 and RC2, because it's
> now dedicated to translation work, rather than (like we used to do) to
> doc writing + translations.

Now done:

7cf2358 Update design document: concealment vs bridges.
f195082 Update user docs for bridge mode.

The user docs sadly became a bit verbose, but it was necessary.
"Concealing Tor usage" is a somewhat tricky use case, and we cannot
defer users to Tor's bridge documentation since it's only about
censorship resistance. Actually it even says "you should try to use Tor
without bridges first, since it might work", which is bad advise for
this "new" use case for bridges.

> About review: I've quickly done a (static) one, and asked some
> questions on the ticket page a few days ago. Not tested yet, though.

You may know it (I only noticed it two weeks ago), but for testing,
obfsproxy bridges can easily be obtained here:

    <https://bridges.torproject.org/?transport=obfs2>

Cheers!