Re: [Tails-dev] Call for testing 0.14~rc2

Author: Ague Mill
To: The Tails public development discussion list
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] Call for testing 0.14~rc2
anonym:
> What procedure do you suggest for packages that we don't build
> ourselves, like live-config{-sysvinit}? The APT documentation [1] only
> covers the case where packages are built and an appropriate .changes
> file is generated.
>
> Should I try to manually write a .changes file, e.g. by adapting the
> upstream one, removing references to other packages like live-config-doc
> etc.?
>
> Or should I build the packages? What about all these irrelevant packages
> (like live-config-doc) then? Upload them too?

The main difference of using our APT repository versus
`chroot_local-packages` is that packages in the former won't
automatically be installed. So there is no reason to exclude binary
packages. They might come in handy later (binary packages containing
debug symbols, for example).

You can write a .changes manually, but it might be easier to use the
changestool(1) command that is shipped in the reprepro package.
Rebuilding the package is another fine option unless the build
ecosystem has changed too much in the meantime.

If the whole thing feels complicated, just put it in
`chroot_local-packages` and we'll deal with the rest with 0.15.

--
Ague