Re: [Tails-dev] Tails 0.14 rc1 virtualization testing & howt…

Nachricht löschen

Nachricht beantworten
Autor: intrigeri
To: The Tails public development discussion list
Betreff: Re: [Tails-dev] Tails 0.14 rc1 virtualization testing & howto install virtualbox and vmplayer
adrelanos wrote (29 Oct 2012 00:35:09 GMT) :
> intrigeri:
>> A long-term solution for Tails would have to be based on Debian,
>> rather than on Oracle's packages. Current status in Tails is a bit
>> kludgy: we are shipping a 4.1.10-dfsg-1~bpo60+1 custom backport of the
>> guest tools and drivers (custom because they are built against the
>> xorg from squeeze-backports).

> Probable once you switch to Wheezy to problem could vanish.

Yes... until we want to ship a newer xorg from wheezy-backports, in
order to support newer hardware :) When this will happen depends
entirely on the Debian X Strike Force time and energy, but I do hope
it will happen.

Anyway, it's quite easy to get the corresponding custom VirtualBox
*host* binary packages, built from the same source. Someone just has
to do it. This is merely a time / priorities problem, rather than
a serious technical one: I was mentionning the current state in
passing, as this knowledge will be needed to anyone who wants to push
this further the initial testing that started this thread.

> Wheezy has fine packages for Virtual Box (virtualbox) and Guest
> Additions (virtualbox-guest-x11).

> Would any any custom adjustments still be required?

No.