Re: [Tails-l10n] Tails-l10n Digest, Vol 9, Issue 18

Nachricht löschen

Nachricht beantworten
Autor: sajolida
To: Tails localization discussion
Betreff: Re: [Tails-l10n] Tails-l10n Digest, Vol 9, Issue 18
On 26/10/12 22:59, Eric Smallberg wrote:
> Hello,
>

>     I think .po files are fine,
>     as long as it is clear which Git commit they were forked off.

> Please see below:

That's cool. Thanks.

> http://dl.dropbox.com/u/65658531/USB_creator_ru.po
> amnesia@amnesia:~/Persistent/liveusb-creator$ git log
> commit 7c9f57b8c6e955d3fdbcb9a334b9acf74a8f373d
> Author: Tails developers <tails@??? <mailto:tails@boum.org>>
> Date: Sat Oct 6 19:05:03 2012 +0200

All the strings in the file where somehow reordered. They do not appear
in the same order as in the original message.pot file but ordered by
source file and lines. That messes up with the way Git deals with changes.

Do you know how this reordering happened? How can we get the strings in
their original order?

> http://dl.dropbox.com/u/65658531/tails_greeter_ru.po
> amnesia@amnesia:~/Persistent/tails-greeter$ git log
> commit b5e2fc323b148c34c90993c8cac485b24eb1a326
> Author: Tails developers <tails@??? <mailto:tails@boum.org>>
> Date: Wed Sep 26 14:43:36 2012 +0200

The only changes introduced by that file are changes in the header and
the removal of all commented strings. I'm not sure we have a strict
policy about commented translations but I think it makes sense to leave
them in the files because they can be helpful for future translations
since that's work that already has been done and could be reused.

> http://dl.dropbox.com/u/65658531/persistence_ru.po
> amnesia@amnesia:~/Persistent/persistence-setup$ git log
> commit b8534ebfb49214e88bf40069287ded0bd3884643
> Author: Tails developers <amnesia@??? <mailto:amnesia@boum.org>>
> Date: Wed Oct 17 00:14:27 2012 +0200

This one has a few new strings translated.

In the header, the `PO-Revision Date` is not set. I'd say it would be
nice to update it and we usually do.

Regarding the translated strings:

On line 170:
msgstr ""
"Любые внесенные вами изменения вступят в силу только после повторного
запуска Tails. \n"
" \n"
" Теперь вы можете закрыть эту программу."

There are a few spaces that I bet should not be here. I don't know about
Russian typography and I'm not sure that would be problematic once
embedded in the software but it could. So if we don't need them we
should get rid of them.

On line 222:
-msgstr "Исправление атрибутов в разделе системы Tails."
+msgstr "Исправление атрибутов в разделе системы Tails/"

Should it be a ‘.’ or a ‘/’?

> I will be sending the .po files for Arabic and Farsi next week.

Great!

So regarding the issue on the strings being reordered, the removal of
the commented translations, and the absence of the revision date I
wonder whether all this could get solved from the configuration of your
PO editor. Which one do you use?

And also, I don't know if you are comfortable using Git but, apart from
using it to get updated versions of the repositories, it is helpful to
review your changes before sending them, for example using `git diff`.