Re: [Tails-dev] Debian popularity contest

Author: intrigeri
To: The Tails public development discussion list
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] Debian popularity contest
Hi,

adrelanos wrote (26 Oct 2012 10:42:48 GMT) :
> did you consider participating with Tails in Debian popularity
> contest? (popcorn)

I don't remember doing more than disabling it,
as a way to avoid having to think about it.

> I saw you disabled it, but couldn't find an explanation in
> the Design.

First, Tails has no outgoing SMTP client configured by default,
so popcon would not work out of the box.

Second, even if Tails had the needed facility, I'm unsure Debian mail
servers would accept email coming from Tor exit nodes. I suppose we
could setup a dedicated limited SMTP relay as we have for WhisperBack,
but that is quite some effort to setup and maintain. Personally, I'm
not interested in doing this work.

Third, I like Tails not to call home by default,
and only then, we can make exceptions when we feel it safe and needed
(e.g. the security issue check).

Cheers!