Re: [Tails-dev] Iceweasel backports experiments

Author: anonym
To: The Tails public development discussion list
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] Iceweasel backports experiments
23/10/12 13:19, intrigeri wrote:
> Ague Mill wrote (23 Oct 2012 08:49:51 GMT) :
>> Did you have specific ideas for the Unsafe browser while
>> writing that?
>
> No. I thought of it after writing that.
>
>> If I understood correctly, having that patch applied in our binary
>> means we will need to set 'torbrowser.version' even for the Unsafe
>> browser. This might not be a problem in itself, but this would be
>> quite confusing, wouldn't it?
>
> I've tested a profile that hasn't torbutton, but has
> torbrowser.version set. Works fine. Given that variable is only used
> by torbutton, I think it's fine to do so for the unsafe browser.

If we want to be on the safe side there's nothing preventing us from
deleting that setting for the Unsafe Browser's chroot in its script.

On a related note, I assume that the name (e.g. as displayed in the
window title bar) is still "Tor Browser" even when run without Torbutton
etc.? That's not good for the Unsafe Browser, so I made a branch
feature/unsafe_browser_name in which the title is set to "Unsafe
Browser" (gettext:ized). I think I got the detection of which Iceweasel
translation that will be used (depending on $LANG) right, which arguably
is the most complex part of this procedure.

Even if this turns out to not be necessary this name change is a general
improvement IMHO.

Cheers!