Re: [Tails-l10n] Please review "Improve Tails in your own la…

Author: intrigeri
To: Tails localization discussion
Subject: Re: [Tails-l10n] Please review "Improve Tails in your own language"
hi,

(only giving my opinion on non-consensual topics bellow, but
otherwise, great work, congrats!)

Matsa wrote (10 Oct 2012 11:46:58 GMT) :
> sajolida@??? wrote :
>> 1. Why did you remove the part on “For English native speakers”?

> The actual version says to the native English speakers:

>> Most of Tails developers are not native English speakers so you're
>> more than welcome to edit, rephrase, correct or improve our
>> English. Since you won't be able to use translation tools for that
>> but rather edit the original code or wiki pages your best option
>> will be using the web interface to the wiki or Git to submit
>> patches"

> As it's not possible anymore to use the web interface, the second
> sentence is outdated (the possibility to submit Git patches is still
> evoked, as one of the options to submit translations)

Quite a few pages on this website can still be edited (in English)
using the web interface. But still, you're right, this part is
a bit outdated.

> About the first sentence, I thought that the native English speakers
> was 'included enough' in:

>> If you are a native speaker of one of the languages available on
>> this website, you can help on correcting, improving or completing
>> the translations that are already available in Tails.

I beg to disagree. This new sentence speaks of *translations*, which
the original text in English is not. One needs to keep in mind that
some potential new contributors may land onto this page by clicking
the "Improve Tails in your own language" link on [[contribute]].

> but we can also write below something like:

>> And if you are a native English speaker, you are more than welcome to
>> edit, rephrase, correct or improve our English, as it's not the
>> mother tongue of most of Tails developers.

> What do you think?

As long as this text is part of a "Translating Tails" section,
I doubt native English speakers will read it at all.
So, I'm in favor of bringing the old "For English native speakers"
section back.

>> 2. The sentence « The translation system used by both the custom
>> programs and the website is called gettext. Every sentence that needs
>> to be translated is written in a PO file. » makes sense even for
>> Transifex, the same applies to the list of things that need to be
>> translated. Why did you removed them from the introductory part
>> “Translating Tails”

> The list of things that need to be translated has been split up in the
> different sections (following the idea that each different option allows
> the contributor to translate different things). Do you think something
> is missing?

> About Transifex, I perceived this tool as an easy way to step-in
> translation work, without having to handle PO files at first.

I agree some may want to contribute using Transifex, without the need
to read about gettext first. I'm fine with that.

> A last thing, is there a relevant place to publish some 'tips&tricks'
> for translators, like building the wiki offline for example?

I don't think such a place exists yet. Feel free to think of where it
should be, and propose something :)

Other comments follow:

> +    - [[Tails Greeter|contribute/git#index5h1]]
> +    - [[Tails Persistence Setup|contribute/git#index7h1]]
> +    - [[Tails USB Installer|contribute/git#index4h1]]
> +    - [[Whisperback|contribute/git#index12h1]]

Please don't rely on section ordering like this. If you need to link
to a section of another page like this, you need to add anchors like
you did for "<a id="transifex"></a>".