Címzett: The Tails public development discussion list
Tárgy: Re: [Tails-dev] Pidgin Protocols Safe?
On Fri, Oct 12, 2012, at 15:02, adrelanos wrote:
> intrigeri:
> > I doubt Tails should allow or filter access to remote content or
> > services depending on the remote side's privacy policies
> > and practices.
> Yes, privacy by design is stronger than privacy by policy. Just in this
> case I am using their privacy by policy to assume...

Hmm... actually, anything is better than privacy by policy. To make
things worse, the temptation to use the data is very high and, in
compensation, the punishment for ignoring the policy is NULL.

> > I'm not sure what you mean here. Do you think people who want to
> > create their first IM account would choose the first in the Pidgin
> > protocols list?
> Something like this.

Actually they are going to go for what their friends or contacts use.
This is not some grand study. Just an observation from the people around
me. And the intelectual work involved to have a second yahoo account is
never thought worthy. Forget the second protocol. Geeks do experiment as
they have a lot of time to waste. Normal people have only one. Even if
the geek perceives two: oh, but I haven't started Yahoo Messenger in
months because I use skype to call my in laws.

> > I believe most of them would choose what their
> > friends use.
> What about groups who want to switch their activities to Tor or people
> who want to create an anonymous contact address for whatever use case?

I think that would be far easier to obtain if people would get to move /
upgrade to the safer / newer open protocols. Myself I have zero success
in getting people to even try OTR. Sure, they would have all the time in
the Word to cry later on when the insurance company would crunch the
data and raise their rates. But, even than, it would be far easier to
point the finger at the corporation than do anything about it.

Cheers!