Re: [Tails-dev] /usr/local/sbin/htpdate suggestion

Author: intrigeri
To: The Tails public development discussion list
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] /usr/local/sbin/htpdate suggestion
Hi,

adrelanos wrote (09 Oct 2012 23:17:53 GMT) :
> Reasons:
> - Most scripts hardcode the paths.

I'm not sure where you got your numbers,
and anyway I fail to see why this is a valid reason.
We're not discussing anonymity sets here :)

> - It's safer, since /usr/local/sbin/htpdate starts curl as root.

If Tails runs htpdate as root in an environment where /usr/local/sbin/
can be written to by an attacker, then we have quite bigger problems,
and I doubt hardcoding paths will be very useful.

Does Tails do that?

> - If you ever add a curl uwt wrapper, you will still want to use
> /usr/bin/curl directly, since you are using --socks5-hostname there.

I hope we don't ever get there.
If we do, then we will have to reconsider this, sure!

Any other reason to do this change?