Re: [Tails-dev] Tails-greeter UI redesign

Author: alan
To: tails-dev
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] Tails-greeter UI redesign

Hi,

Some time ago, I wrote:

> From: alan@???
> Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2012 13:44:15 +0200
>
> As you have probably experienced, tails-greeter UI is far from
> ergonomic. Thus, some of use discussed plans to improve the situations[1].
>
> These plans include asking for your input on UI design proposals.
> We will then propose 1 or 2 implementations, get them tested and see
> what happens.
>
> So it's time for those who care to send what you find relevant, be it
> suggestions about something not to forget about, proposals or user
> experience workflow, UI mockups or anything else.

Well no answer so far... but I took some time to play on this, and have
some mockups to propose. Please test!

Everything is on the ticket, under the title "Prototypes":

    https://tails.boum.org/todo/tails-greeter:_revamp_UI/

Download everything in

    https://tails.boum.org/todo/tails-greeter:_revamp_UI/mockups/

or better clone the git, go to the directory and:

    $ ./mockup.py [-v <variant>] [-p]

Dependencies: gtk3, python gobject introspection (basically debian wheezy)

My goals for the interface was:

    - read in "natural" order: top to bottom
    - no hidden windows/options
    - easy to adapt to right-to-left languages RTL
    - inspired/similar to GNOME3 "system perferences"

I'd like to hear about:

    - your overall impression?
    - should keyboard selectable independently from locale in one click?
    - your navigation experience?
    - where should the locales box be?

Cheers