Re: [Tails-dev] [patch, please review] generate Iceweasel p…

Autor: Ague Mill
Para: The Tails public development discussion list
Asunto: Re: [Tails-dev] [patch, please review] generate Iceweasel profile at build time
On Sun, Sep 30, 2012 at 04:18:07PM +0100, Alessandro Grassi wrote:
> > People usually use Xvfb when they need a 'fake' X server. See the 'xvfb'
> > package in Debian, and the `xvfb-run` script it contains.
>
> xvfb works fine, new patch is attached ;-)

Great! The hook looks fine. Minor cosmetic remark: I'd rather have the
profile named 'default' than 'amnesia'. The 'amnesia' name is a leftover
from the very first versions of what became Tails. Maybe someday we'll
want to get rid of those.

> Now the real thing: make bookmarks persistent. I got it working using
> dotfiles and putting places.sqlite in the right subfolder, so I can make a
> preset in tails-persistence-setup which links "bookmarks/places.sqlite" to
> "/home/amnesia/.mozilla/firefox/profiles/amnesia/places.sqlite" (I looked
> at the code).
>
> The only missing thing is the first-time behaviour: the existing
> places.sqlite (or, if missing, a default one) must be moved to the
> persistent storage and linked to the profile folder, and Iceweasel should
> not be open while this happens.
>
> Is there a way for tails-persistence-setup to execute a script on preset
> activation?

I am not sure I understand. Do you already have code for that?

Some tests have shown that you can have `places.sqlite` be a symlink to
a file in another directory, e.g. `~/.mozilla/tails-bookmarks`. If the
symlink points to a non-existent file, then Firefox will happily create
it from the defaults when it starts. So I suspect that making this
directory persistent would do the trick.

--
Ague