Re: [Tails-dev] Please review feature/assymetric_gpgApplet […

Autor: intrigeri
Para: The Tails public development discussion list
Asunto: Re: [Tails-dev] Please review feature/assymetric_gpgApplet [sic!]
hi,

anonym wrote (27 Sep 2012 13:09:17 GMT) :
> Let's make sure this gets merged in time for the Tails 0.14 freeze

Sure! :)

> That will require an overhaul of the current documentation on how to
> use OpenPGP. I had a quick look and this is what has to be updated:

> doc/encryption_and_privacy/openpgp_passphrase_encryption (symmetric)

> The context menu for gpgApplet is now different, so both screenshots
> (encryption and decryption) have to be updated.

While we're at it, we could drop screenshots (as adviced by GNOME
documentation guidelines, that some of us found very inspiring) and
get rid of this problem.

> doc/encryption_and_privacy/openpgp_with_gedit (asymmetric)

> This page should be renamed since gpgApplet is to be used, not gedit.
> Perhaps "openpgp_public_key" is a better name.

The symmetric one is called "openpgp_passphrase_encryption", so
perhaps we want to have this one contain "_encryption" too?

> Actually there may be a point in uniting these pages into a single
> one now since the same tool is used in both cases. Thoughts?

I'm not sure "the same tool is used" is a good criterion for deciding
how we organize end-user documentation.

These are pretty different usecases, probably targetting quite
different people, so I'd rather keep separate (shorter) pages.

E.g. some people use symmetric encryption, and don't even know any
other kind of encryption exists, so pointing them to a page where both
are documented may be an additional factor of confusion. Keeping these
pages separate also makes it easier to link to the one or the other.