Re: [Tails-dev] [patch, please review] generate Iceweasel p…

Autor: anonym
Para: The Tails public development discussion list
Asunto: Re: [Tails-dev] [patch, please review] generate Iceweasel profile at build time
25/09/12 10:31, Ague Mill wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 24, 2012 at 05:24:51PM +0100, Alessandro Grassi wrote:
>>> How far have you tested this patch?
>>>
>>> Does calling `iceweasel -CreateProfile` requires to have an X server
>>> running?
>>>
>> I didn't test this. Turns out that it requires an X server! Thanks for
>> asking!
>> We need to work around this somehow.
>
> People usually use Xvfb when they need a 'fake' X server. See the 'xvfb'
> package in Debian, and the `xvfb-run` script it contains.
>
> Overall, I am still having a hard time convincing myself that generating
> an Iceweasel profile on build time is the way to go. That is why I have
> been researching how complicated it would be to create a dedicated
> extension...

Note that there are other aspects of Iceweasel that we may want to make
persistent, like the changes made by the certificate manager. With a
pre-generated Iceweasel profile, that could be solved in the same way as
with bookmarks. Without it, there would be need for another dedicated
extension.

However, todo/persistence_preset_-_bookmarks has been updated and it
seems that making the bookmarks persistent using this approach may be
trickier than I initially thought.

Cheers!