Re: [Tails-dev] [patch, please review] generate Iceweasel p…

Author: Ague Mill
To: The Tails public development discussion list
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] [patch, please review] generate Iceweasel profile at build time
On Mon, Sep 24, 2012 at 05:24:51PM +0100, Alessandro Grassi wrote:
> > How far have you tested this patch?
> >
> > Does calling `iceweasel -CreateProfile` requires to have an X server
> > running?
> >
> I didn't test this. Turns out that it requires an X server! Thanks for
> asking!
> We need to work around this somehow.

People usually use Xvfb when they need a 'fake' X server. See the 'xvfb'
package in Debian, and the `xvfb-run` script it contains.

Overall, I am still having a hard time convincing myself that generating
an Iceweasel profile on build time is the way to go. That is why I have
been researching how complicated it would be to create a dedicated
extension...

But I am happy to see you trying this approach. We will be able to see
how far it goes! :)

> Also, it would be better if the hook would start with `set -e` in order
> > to catch any errors that can happen in the process.
> >
> How do I do that? I just put `set -e` before other commands?

Yes, just put it at the start of the script. For what it does, let's
quote dash(1):

If not interactive, exit immediately if any
untested command fails. The exit status of a com‐
mand is considered to be explicitly tested if the
command is used to control an if, elif, while, or
until; or if the command is the left hand operand
of an “&&” or “||” operator.

--
Ague