Re: [Tails-dev] Please review some vagrant optimizations [wa…

Autor: intrigeri
Para: The Tails public development discussion list
Asunto: Re: [Tails-dev] Please review some vagrant optimizations [was: Shipping a 686-pae kernel]
anonym wrote (10 Sep 2012 13:40:31 GMT) :
> 06/09/12 11:51, intrigeri wrote:
>> Also, FWIW my libvirt -based build VM is given 6 GiB, no swap,
>> builds fine inside a 6GB ramdisk, so perhaps the Vagrant build
>> process could be optimized a bit?

> Which optimizations do you use?

None.

I have that, though, in my /etc/live/build.conf:

LB_CACHE_PACKAGES="false"

(Caching packages is useless once you have a caching proxy do
it already.)

> Both seem like great improvements to me both memory-wise and
> (incidentally) time-wise. I've implemented this in feature/vagrant:
> the aufs trick is always used when building in RAM, and the
> bootstrap cache can be controlled with
> TAILS_BUILD_OPTIONS=(no)cache, (enabled by default), and the
> TAILS_BUILD_OPTIONS=cleanall option also clears the bootstrap
> packages + stage cache. The documentation about this also pushed
> into that branch.

I find it a bit scary not to clean the bootstrap stage by default.

I find "dev-time -only" optimizations scary in general,
both because sometimes one forgets to disable them when building
a final image (see the last RC with gzip'd SquashFS),
and because it may result in subtle differences between the resulting
images, that are very hard to track and understand.