[Tails-dev] When should we fix regressions?

Autor: Ague Mill
Para: The Tails public development discussion list
Temas antigos: Re: [Tails-dev] Please review bugfix/fix_background_readahead
Asunto: [Tails-dev] When should we fix regressions?
On Sat, Sep 01, 2012 at 12:35:27PM +0200, bertagaz@??? wrote:
> > I still would like to see this reach 0.13~rc2.
>
> Given we're supposed to be freezed, I'm not sure this is a good idea,
> unless there is has been tested a lot before being merged, and there is a
> strong commitment to test this in the 0.13~rc2. Is the goodness of this
> patch worth the effort or risk to include this so lately in the release
> process?

Ok. Maybe this should had been discussed some more. The process I know
the best about time-based releases is the Linux kernel. What happens
there is that there is a window of time where new features get merged
in. When this window is closed, a first release candidate is made.
Then, what goes in are fixes for bugs and regressions. Then a second
release candidate is made, followed by more bug fixes. Repeat until
kernel is deemed stable enough for a release.

This delay on boot is a regression (which appeared in 0.12, IIRC).
I don't see why it should not be fixed as soon as possible. There is a
second release candidate planed. If it appears to cause problem, then it
can be reverted before the final image.

--
Ague