Re: [Tails-dev] Please review bugfix/fix_background_readahea…

Author: intrigeri
To: The Tails public development discussion list
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] Please review bugfix/fix_background_readahead
Hi,

Ague Mille wrote (26 Aug 2012 09:30:19 GMT) :
> While testing 0.13~rc1, I worked a bit on fixing the 'boot pause'
> issue that is related to our readahead mechanism.

Great!

> The patch looks simple enough to be a candidate for 0.13.

As you know, I tend to think the problem fixed by this patch is not
worth the risks involved at this stage of the release process, but my
extra-carefulness does not extend to vetoing if there is a general
agreement with applying this patch before rc2.

> +     start-stop-daemon \
> +        --start --background --pid /var/run/background-readahead.pid --startas /bin/sh -- \
> +        -c "$BG_FILES | xargs cat >/dev/null 2>&1")

I assume you wanted to write --pidfile, as --pid does not exist in my
copy of start-stop-daemon. Beware before s/pid/pidfile/, though:
given --pidfile presence/absence changes quite drastically the
behavior of start-stop-daemon, if the proposed patch works, then this
option is probably not needed, is it?

To end with, I have to say like the start-stop-daemon solution a lot.