Re: [Tails-dev] PGP Smart Cards

Author: intrigeri
To: Patrick Bx
CC: tails-dev
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] PGP Smart Cards
Hi,

(No need to Cc: me, I do read the list. Do you?)

Patrick Bx wrote (25 Aug 2012 19:35:48 GMT) :
> On Fri, Aug 24, 2012 at 12:34 PM, intrigeri <intrigeri@???> wrote:
>> Are you interested in trying to backport these two packages for
>> Squeeze, or testing backports we would prepare, and see if that's
>> enough to get things working?

> I can't say i'd be the best person to make the back ports as I have no
> experience with that, but I'd be more then happy to help test them.
> Let me how I can help and I will get back pretty fast about things.

OK. I suggest kindly asking the maintainer of these two Debian
packages to prepare and upload updated versions to squeeze-backports:

    Ludovic Rousseau <rousseau@???>

(With my Debian developer hat on: please Cc: me your request, and I'll
see what I can do if Ludovic thinks it's a good idea but has no time
to deal with that.)

> Abel, a developer for the guardian project is working on a fork of
> Tails called 'Clean Room'. Basically, it would just be a Tails
> distribution that includes this drivers, removes all networking, and
> adds script that facilitates creating and managing an offline
> master key.

Nice to hear! I find the idea excellent, and I'm happy to see Tails
used as a basis for this usecase. Count me in the potential future
users of this distribution :)

> I think it'd still be very useful to have the drivers in Tails and
> other support that doesn't conflict with the more general computing
> environment that is Tails.

Sure, the drivers should go into Tails. I think the backports way is
the correct one, as mixing a libc6 from testing/sid with a Squeeze
system is not guaranteed to work as intended.

I also think that:

  * disabling networking could easily be provided as a boot-time
    option of Tails;
  * the aforementionned scripts might be worth installing into Tails,
    preferably in the form of a Debian package.

I mean: given the small size of the intended delta, and the hard work
needed to maintain a long-term fork, Able might prefer to have this
merged into Tails at some point. No pressure intended, I understand
a short-term fork might help, even for such a small delta, to get
a proof of concept out quickly.

> He plans to release an early version this week I believe. I'll make
> its gets mentioned on the list if anyone is interested.

Yes, please.