Re: [Tails-dev] Please test 0.13-rc1

Author: Ague Mill
To: The Tails public development discussion list
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] Please test 0.13-rc1
> # Iceweasel
>
> * Browsing (by IP) a FTP server on the LAN should be possible.

OK: FTP is reachable and usable.

> # Use of untrusted partitions
>
> * are any local hard-disk partitions mounted or used as swap?
> boot on a (possibly virtual) machine that has a cleartext swap
> partition not managed by LVM. This swap partition must not be used
> by Tails.
> * is a Live system found on a local hard-disk partition used? boot the
> DVD/USB stick you are testing on a (possibly virtual) machine that
> has a Tails system copied on a cleartext partition not managed by
> LVM. The DVD/USB ramdisk must use the Tails system found on the
> DVD/USB, and not the one found on the hard disk. (Also check that
> without Tails, that other Live system boots.)
>
> # Claws
>
> * Also check that the EHLO/HELO SMTP message is not leaking anything
> with a packet sniffer: start Claws using the panel icon (which runs
> `torify claws-mail`) to
> avoid using the transparent proxy (which will confuse tcpdump).
> Disable SSL/TLS for SMTP in Claws (so take precautions for not
> leaking your password in plaintext by either changing it temporarily
> or using a disposable account). Then run `sudo tcpdump -i lo -w
> dump` to capture the packets before Tor encrypts it, and check the
> dump for the HELO/EHLO message and verify that it only contains
> `localhost`.

OK: HELO is 'localhost'. (I have tested by using 'nc -l -p 25 127.0.0.1'
and manually acting like a SMTP server.)

> # Whisperback
>
> * can a bug report e-mail be sent?
> * is it correctly encrypted?

Still doesn't work.

> # Monkeysphere
>
> * Monkeysphere validation agent key search/receive: torified? uses
> configured keyserver?
>
> # erase memory on shutdown
>
> - check that `memlockd` and `udev-watchdog` are running, and that the right
> device is being watched by the later.
> - remove Tails' media (USB and cdrom) and check that the memory
> erasure process is started (`Loading new kernel`, at least).
>
> Testing that the needed files are really mapped in memory, and the
> erasing process actually works, involves slightly more complicated
> steps that are worth [[a dedicated page|test/erase_memory_on_shutdown]].
>
> # Persistence
>
> * Activate persistence on a Tails USB install with all presets
> on.
> * Reboot, enable persistence. Verify via `mount` that each preset has
> a mount that seem correct (e.g. "Pidgin preset =>
> `/home/amnesia/.purple` has something mounted on it").
> * Try read-write mode. Make sure that persistent files are writeable,
> and that changes do survive reboot.
> * Try read-only mode. Make sure that persistent files are writeable,
> but that no changes survive reboot.
> * Test adding a few custom directories.
> * Turn off some persistence presets, reboot, and make sure they are
> not activated.
>
> # Misc
>
> * Check that there are no weird applications listening to external
> connections with `sudo netstat -ltupn` (everything should be
> `127.0.0.1` (IPv4) or `::1` (IPv6)).

OK: no weird applications to be seen.

> * Check that links to the online website (`Mirror:`) at the bottom of
> bundled static web pages are working. Else, it probably means the
> wiki was not built with the needed patched ikiwiki version.

OK: links to the online website present.

> * Check that all seems well during init (mostly that all services
> start without errors), and that dmesg seems ok.

OK.

> * Boot without network connection, and then plug it in after
> some arbitrary time; Tor and Vidalia must be autostarted and end up
> in working state.

OK.

> * Doing an apt-get update and installing random packages.

OK: tested with 'sl' and 'unsort' packages.

> * Boot on bare-metal on USB.

OK.

> * Boot and check basic functionality is working for every supported
>   language.
>   - The chosen keyboard layout must be applied.
>   - The virtual keyboard must work and be auto-configured to
>     use the same keyboard layout as the X session.
>   - The iceweasel search engine must be localized (for languages we
>     ship a localized searchplugin for).

OK: tested german, french, spanish, italian, portugese, vietnamese,
russian, arabic, farsi, chinese.

Default search engine for spanish and portugese is Google. Added to
'known issues'.

> * Try to start with the `truecrypt` option on boot, see if it can be found in
> the *Applications* → *Accessories* menu and that it runs correctly.

OK: successfully created a encrypted container and mounted it.

> * Connecting over SSH to a server on the Internet should work (and
> appear in Vidalia's connections list).

OK: connection successful.

> * Connecting (by IP) over SSH to a server on the LAN should work.

OK: connection successful.

> * The `amnesia` user must be part of the following groups:
> `audio cdrom dialout floppy video plugdev netdev fuse debian-tor scanner lp lpadmin vboxsf`

OK: `amnesia` is part of all those groups.

> * Measure boot time on some reference bare metal hardware, and compare
> with previous version. The new one should not be significantly
> slower to start.

OK:

Tails 0.12.1:    1'07" to Tails greeter
Tails 0.13~rc1:    42" to Tails greeter

It might be that the slow boot issue has been fixed by our updates to a
more recent live-boot.

The 'background' readahead step is still actually *not* run in
the background (confirmed by adding some debug during initramfs).

> * MAT should be able to clean a PDF file.

OK: correctly cleaned up a 6 MB / 200 pages PDF.

> * Running `getTorbuttonUserAgent` should produce the useragent set by the
> Torbutton version installed and used in Iceweasel.

OK: output is the same as what can be seen in 'about:config'.

> * Browsing (by hostname) a FTP server on the Internet should be
> possible using GNOME's *Connect to server* feature
> (once [[todo/fix Internet FTP support]] is fixed)

KO: as expected. I am adding that to the 'known issues'.

--
Ague