Re: [Tails-dev] incremental upgrades: phase one almost done,…

Autor: intrigeri
Para: The Tails public development discussion list
Asunto: Re: [Tails-dev] incremental upgrades: phase one almost done, release plan
hi,

sajolida wrote (08 Aug 2012 12:29:53 GMT) :
> I'll propose and comment a few changes here.

Thanks a lot!

> # Frontend.pm

> ## Line 298

> "Target files for %{name}s %{version}s are being downloaded, please wait."
> → "Downloading the update for %{name}s %{version}s, please wait."

Applied.

> ## Line 309

> "Applying the update, please wait."
> → "The system is now being updated, please wait."

Applied.

> "Applying the update" means "updating", right?

Right.

> ## Line 310

> "Note: the network will be shutdown for safety reasons."
> "Note: for safety reasons, the network connection is disabled during the
> update."

> It's not the network that is been shutdown (hopefully!) but the network
> connection. And future tenses should be avoided, see GDP:

Applied.

> ## Line 319

> "The system was successfully updated."
> "It is now running in a special mode which is not safe for normal use."
> "You should reboot <b>as soon as possible."
> "Shutdown the system <i>now</i>?"

> → "The system was successfully updated."
> "It is now running in a special mode which is not safe for normal use."
> "You should restart your computer <b>as soon as possible</b>."
> "Shutdown the computer <i>now</i>?"

Applied.

> About the second line, the information it brings is not clear to me. Is
> it not safe as in "privacy" or as in "reliability"?

Security: the system partition was remounted read-write for the update
to be applied. See commit 2325927 for details about why we don't
remount it read-only at this time.

> What could happen? A crash?

Worst case: a remote code execution allows a malicious program to
install itself permanently onto the USB stick.

> I would try to replace this sentence with a more explicit threat of
> what could happen.

Sure. Such as? :)

> ## Line

> "Shutting down network access"