Re: [Tails-dev] roadmap and broken windows

Autor: Robert Ransom
Para: The Tails public development discussion list
Asunto: Re: [Tails-dev] roadmap and broken windows
On 8/17/12, intrigeri <intrigeri@???> wrote:
> bertagaz@??? wrote (17 Aug 2012 10:03:43 GMT) :
>> As a reminder, here's the decisions we took when discussing about
>> the roadmap and how we'll solve the broken windows.
>
> Details that may not be obvious to everyone on this list:
>
> The "broken windows" concept is used here as in The Pragmatic
> Programmer book: http://pragprog.com/the-pragmatic-programmer
>
> The list of Tails detected broken windows is there:
> https://tails.boum.org/contribute/roadmap/#index1h1

re https://tails.boum.org/todo/fix_Internet_FTP_support/ : See
https://bugs.torproject.org/1259 and https://bugs.torproject.org/3290
. You probably won't be able to fix this bug.

re https://tails.boum.org/todo/distribute_source/ : There is a
block-deduplicating archival system called ‘venti’, generally used in
the Plan 9 community and available for other platforms in ‘plan9port’.
I have never successfully used it, I would expect it to contain
security bugs (mainly lots of integer overflows), and I have no idea
how to configure it to forbid writes by unauthenticated users, but it
might be sufficiently better than nothing to justify using it until
you find something better. (Make sure you upload separate packages to
it as separate, rather than uploading a tarball -- I have no reason to
believe that it would do a good job of chopping your data into
blocks.)

re https://tails.boum.org/todo/more_stable_WhisperBack_SMTP_relay/ :
If all else fails, you could consider using Mixminion to try to send a
bug report. (This would require some testing to determine whether it
is reliable enough to be worth providing the option.) Also, you could
consider asking Tor Project, Inc. to host another server to receive
messages for you.

Robert Ransom