[Tails-dev] Tails server should to be frequently time synced

Author: adrelanos
To: tails-dev
Subject: [Tails-dev] Tails server should to be frequently time synced
Hi,

Comment about https://tails.boum.org/todo/server_edition/

I think you can add to this page, that Tails's current implementation
with tails_htp is not sufficient. Servers are supposed to run over
longer periods without rebooting, days or weeks.

During that time and especially under load the system clock will shift.

My recommendation is to run htpdate periodically, perhaps every hour.
Time exact minute should be randomized to avoid creating a network
fingerprint.

Given what you already implemented with tails_htp, running tails_htp
frequently probable won't be hard. As I need it for aos, I am planing
to add a script to /etc/cron.daily, it will run another script in
background to avoid blocking anachron during the sleep delay. The
other script will simply pick a number between 0 and 3600 from
/dev/random, sleep for the delay and then restart the htpdate service.

Please comment on the implementation idea and if you are interested I
am going to link those small new scripts.

Cheers,
adrelanos