Re: [Tails-l10n] I want to translate "Website and documentat…

Author: sajolida
To: Tails localization discussion, vasilache71
New-Topics: Re: [Tails-l10n] bootstrapping a new translation of the website [Was: I want to translate "Website and documentation" in romanian (RO). How?]
Subject: Re: [Tails-l10n] I want to translate "Website and documentation" in romanian (RO). How?
On 28/07/12 13:26, Vasile Popescu wrote:
> Hello,
>
> As in this link,
> https://tails.boum.org/contribute/how/translate/#index2h3
>
>     contribute
>     how
>     Improve Tails in your own language

> I have some time to translate "Website and documentation" in romanian
> (RO). But I don't know how to use GIT... So I'm asking you - as anonym
> said to me on #tails:
>
> (10:47:46 AM) orley: Q: How can I start to translate
> https://tails.boum.org/doc/index.en.html in a language that is not
> shown (top right - EN DE ES FR PT)?
> (10:50:10 AM) orley: Can someone help me?
> (10:58:22 AM) anonym: orley: bootstrapping currently unsupported
> languages is unfortunately quite a bit more complex than using the web
> interface. you'll have to use git + poeditor:
> https://tails.boum.org/contribute/how/translate/#index2h3
> (11:04:43 AM) orley: that's what I'm asking: Can someone put RO
> (romanian language) in the languages on top-right so I can start
> translating? Otherwise "quite a bit more complex" it's more than just
> a bit for me... because I don't know what is git... and how
> to...."Clone Tails Git repository onto your local system." and so on..
> (11:05:31 AM) orley: or if you have an e-mail address where I can send
> the english page (edit version) translated in RO?
> (11:10:54 AM) anonym: orley: translations are not my strongest suit,
> so I suggest you email tails-l10n@??? and ask what to do
>
> can you help me to help you?

Hi Vasile,

Thanks for being willing to contribute to Tails!

We are not against adding Romanian translation to the website. But you
should be aware that this implies quite a bit of work. Having only 5 or
10 % of the website translated in one language is not really useful. So
here are a few things we would require in order to start a good process
in that direction:

1. People working on translating Tails coordinate through the
tails-l10n@??? mailing list. You should subscribe to this list.

2. We think it is really required to be a team of translators and not a
single person. That also allow for peer reviews between the team, more
flexibility when important deadlines arrives, etc. Are you alone or do
you think you could build a small team around you?

3. Dealing with translations on the long-run would require learning to
use PO files, maybe using PO Edit, (and possibly a bit of git).
Translating from the website interface should be thought as a secondary
option in order to do small fixes or get the contribution of extra
translators but not as a primary tool to work with. But working with PO
files is not that hard.

4. Since the content of the website is sensitive in terms of privacy
protection and no one in the team speaks Romanian (as far as I know) we
would also need to find people we trust to review your work.

Once we got those 4 conditions working you could start translating the
most central parts of the website and send us the PO files:

- /
- /about
- /getting_started
- /support
- /download
- /doc/about
- /doc/first_steps

And some of our custom programs:

- whisperback
- tails USB installer
- tails greeter
- tails persistence setup

That would be nice as a first batch of translation.

--
sajolida