Re: [Tails-dev] Include gdm logs in whisperback

Autor: Ague Mill
Para: The Tails public development discussion list
Asunto: Re: [Tails-dev] Include gdm logs in whisperback
On Thu, Jul 12, 2012 at 05:50:01PM +0200, alan@??? wrote:
> During debugging of Tails 0.12 boot issues, it appeared that it wolud be
> very useful for debugging such issues to have GDM logs included in bug
> reports.
>
> Candidates seems to be both stuff in /var/log/gdm3 and /var/lib/gdm3.
>
> I just had a look at this, and got several points to clarify.
>
> 1) what to include?
>
> - /var/log/gdm3 contains three files:
>   - :0-slave.log: useful, contains session and postlogin scripts output
>   - :0-greeter.log: tails-greeter log. Might be useful but contains tons
>     of shit. If we want to include it, then we proably want to teach
>     t-g to be less verbose (should be easy to do as it uses python
>     logging facility).
>   - :0.log: useless (I think), gdm's X server log
> - /var/lib/gdm3 doesn't contain logs but configuration snippets written
>   by t-g. This one might include passwords that we would have to clean.
>   Do we really want to include the options selected by the user?

So just get :0-slave.log and :0-greeter.log for now. We'll see if that's
enough or not.

> 2) How to include them?
>
> /var/log/gdm3 belongs to root:Debian-gdm with mode 1770. [...]
>
> Thus, I see several possibilities:
>
> - have an helper (GDM postlogin script?) chmoding /var/log/gdm3. Seems
> me not that nice;
> - have an helper (GDM postlogin script?) copying the logs we want to
> another location;
> - other ideas?

Make mail_appended_info() call a (fairly trivial) script through sudo
that would output all needed information. That script can be run as root
and have access to all log files. It could actually replace most of what
that function does.

--
Ague