Címzett: tails-dev
Tárgy: [Tails-dev] WhisperBack configuration

Hi,

WhisperBack code currently include tails-specific code and strings for
localized documentation.

This is far from perfect as:

- when these links change, we have to reflect these changes in
whisperback code and release a new version (of include a new snapshot
in Tails);

- apart form that code, WhisperBack core code is not Tails specific and
could be reused.

On the other hand, we already use a python script as a configuration
file.

Thus, why not to move these bits of code to the configuration file?

The concerned code is:

- load_htmlhelp in whisperBack/gui.py:173
This function loads string representing the HTML help index.
It could get this string from the config file, but this string must be
translatable.

- get_localised_doc_link in whisperBack/utils.py:169
This function depends on two others, but can actually be simplified
to a single function of 10 lines of code.

So the only blocker is: could whisperback python's config file included
in Tails code (config/chroot_local-includes/etc/whisperback/config.py)
be easily translateable?

Two questions:

- what about whisperback config file translation? (How) is that done for
other parts of Tails?
- what do you think about this change proposal?

Cheers