Re: [Tails-dev] Please test feature/unsafe-browser

Author: alan
To: tails-dev
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] Please test feature/unsafe-browser

Hi,

> From: anonym <anonym@???>
> Date: Sun, 27 May 2012 23:01:06 +0200
>
> 03/16/2012 08:38 PM, anonym:
> > Hi,
> >
> > As promised feature/unsafe-browser now implements an unsafe,
> > non-anonymous browser [1] (which is intended for captive portal
> > login/registration).
>
> The branch feature/unsafe-browser has now reached potential production
> state and has been merged into devel and experimental for inclusion in
> the next Tails major release. If you have the possibility to build
> Tails, please do so (preferably build experimental as it also contains
> some firewall rule changes) and test the Unsafe Browser feature so any
> remaining bugs or other issues can be identified.

This is a test with true internet connectivity (no portal) on
experimental build from may 28 (commit 37fa701) and june 4 (commit
e4065b8).

> Testing behind real
> world captive portals is highly valuable.
>
> Here's a list of what to expect from the Unsafe Browser (if something
> else happens it's a bug and you should post about it here):
>
>   * User documentation can be found on the local wiki through:
>     Documentation -> First steps -> Logging in to captive portals.
>     Please read this first! Possibly even before reading the rest of
>     this list as a sanity check of the docs.

Documentation included in the iso is missing that, so I can't test.

>   * The Unsafe browser is started through: Applications -> Internet ->
>     Unsafe Browser, which should have a warning triangle as icon.

Instead of a custom SVG, I think it might be better to use the stock icon
"dialog-warning" ou "security-low".

> * On start a warning is thrown which requires verification.

Ok

>   * Both start and shutdown can be pretty slow, as notifications will
>     tell you.

Ok

>   * The start page contain yet another warning, which has no links
>     (neither external nor internal).

On the start page I get an error stating that firefox can't find file
"/usr/share/doc/tails/website/misc/unsafe_browser_warning.en.html"

By the way, I'm using french locale so I should probably get .fr.html
instead of .en.html

> * Only one instance of the Unsafe Browser can be run at a time.

When I try to start a second instance of unsafe browser, I get the
message:

    Another Unsafe Browser is currently running, or being cleaned up.
    Please retry in a while.

    The Unsafe Browser will exit now.

I think the end of the message is confusing, as my existing unsafe
browser doesn't exit.

Restarting the unsafe browser after closing it was fixed between my two
tests.

>   * It has a red theme so it can be easily distinguished from the
>     normal, anonymous browser

Works. A think that the menu text in yellow on red is not that readeable.
Perhaps white on red instead?

>     (this is disabled when running with
>     'winxp' on the kernel command line, i.e. when Windows camouflage is
>     activated).

Works, but I think that in that case this browser is very (too) similar
to anonymous browser. The only noticeable diffrence is "(as clearnet)"
in the title bar. Would it be possible to name it "Unsafe browser"
instead of "Iceweasel" (in the title bar)?

>   * It has neither FoxyProxy nor Torbutton installed (and no proxy set,
>     obviously).

It has addons I doubt they are useful in our usecase enabled:

- FireGPG
- Monkeysphere
- NoScript (in my experience, problematic with some captive portals)
- amnesia branding (?)

> * It has no bookmarks.

Ok

>   * It has English Wikipedia as the default search engine in the
>     Navigation Toolbar. This is used as a visual reminder of that
>     this is the Unsafe Browser (mostly for when run in Windows
>     camouflage mode since the red theme is disabled). Another such
>     reminder is the lack of Torbutton's onion icon.

Ok, but I doubt this reminder is enough, see above.

>   * The Unsafe Browser always starts in a completely fresh state; the
>     history and all settings should be reset on start.

Ok

Cheers