Re: [Tails-dev] Improvement of the shutdown sequence

Author: Ague Mill
To: The Tails public development discussion list
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] Improvement of the shutdown sequence
Hi!

On Tue, May 29, 2012 at 11:02:27AM +0200, intrigeri wrote:
> Ague Mill wrote (20 May 2012 17:55:03 GMT) :
> > I have noticed that there is some seconds in the shutdown sequence
> > that might be wasted by properly shutting down services that we
> > don't care much about.
> [...]
> > Here is the current init scripts that are currently called (same
> > scripts and order for shutdown and reboot sequences) in Tails 0.11
> > and an analysis of what might be removed:
>
> This analysis looks correct to me.

I have implemented most of what I was suggesting in the
`feature/shutdown_cleanup` branch. This branch is not meant for 0.12 and
will probably be rebased. I welcome comments on the approach but I do
want to more tests before a formal merge request.

> > Any advice on how to implement the removal of those extra scripts?
> > A hook with a bunch of `rm` commands? It looks like `update-rc.d`
> > really
> > wants to have shutdown scripts in place...
>
> `rm' looks good enough.

Actually, our boot and shutdown sequences are managed using insserv.
After reading its manpage, I discovered than insserv has an override
mechanism. It looked cleaner to use it instead of blindly use `rm`. This
also meant I could replace the error-prone update-rc.d calls in
the 52-update-rc.d hook by insserv overrides.

--
Ague