Re: [Tails-dev] tails plymouth theme

Author: Ague Mill
To: The Tails public development discussion list
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] tails plymouth theme
> > Initially, I also wanted to add video drivers for virtualization
> > software. Unfortunately, no drivers happen to support Kernel Mode
> > Setting at the moment:
> [...]
> >  * VirtualBox: code is written and it should be shipped in 4.2,
> >    according to <http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTAxOTk>.

> But will this help? The VirtualBox guest modules are loaded pretty late
> during boot.

It will, as long as the module is present in the initrd. That exactly is
why I have left commented out it in that new initramfs hook.

> In Tails the text only theme diplays "Debian 6.0.x" after some time (I
> can only see this when booting from DVD). For some additional
> consistency we could try to change this to "Booting Tails".
> Unfortunately that seems to be hardcoded in the plymouth text theme, so
> we'd have to make a new 'tails-text' theme. Hmm.

I have some patches ready to fix that, but I think we will have to wait
for upstream to merge them before getting that in Tails. I don't think
having yet another binary packages is worth the effort for such minor
detail.

> I any case, I think the current state of tnat branch is an over-all
> improvement. I'll merge this into devel for the 0.12 release unless
> someone objects.

I don't. I have tested it on a dozen computers I could get my hands on,
and I have not seen any issues.

--
Ague