Re: [Tails-dev] Building without a proxy?

Author: anonym
To: tails-dev
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] Building without a proxy?
05/09/2012 05:58 PM, Maxim Kammerer:
> On Wed, May 9, 2012 at 6:01 PM, Ague Mill <ague@???> wrote:
>> Does anyone around build Tails *without* using a local HTTP proxy and
>> setting the "http_proxy" environment variable?
>
> Note the mention of /etc/resolv.conf above. I found that bug at the
> end of 2010 (commit 54d9702), when a user without *_proxy variables
> had builds failing due to non-working DNS. It could be the reason for
> failing builds in your case.

It's a somewhat similar issue AFAICT. The breakage happens right after
we copy in our local includes to the chroot. Specifically it seems like
config/chroot_local-includes/etc/apt/apt.conf.d/0000runtime-proxy is the
culprit as it sets:

    Acquire::http::Proxy "http://127.0.0.1:8118/";

As you can see in the end of the buildlog from my failed try to build
without any proxies, the above proxy is unsuccessfully used:

    [...]
    P: Begin copying chroot local includes...
    44990 blocks
    P: Begin applying chroot local patches...
    Reading package lists...
    Building dependency tree...
    Reading state information...
    Suggested packages:
      ed diffutils-doc
      patch
    0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
    Need to get 122 kB of archives.
    After this operation, 250 kB of additional disk space will be used.
    Err http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ squeeze/main patch i386 2.6-2
      Could not connect to 127.0.0.1:8118 (127.0.0.1). - connect (111:
      Connection refused)
    Failed to fetch http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/pool/main/p/patch
    /patch_2.6-2_i386.deb  Could not connect to 127.0.0.1:8118
    (127.0.0.1). - connect (111: Connection refused)
    E: Unable to fetch some archives, maybe run apt-get update or try
    with --fix-missing?
    P: Begin unmounting filesystems...
    Command exited with non-zero status 100
    156.55user 50.57system 1:05:19elapsed 5%CPU (0avgtext+0avgdata
    529872maxresident)k
    2472inputs+9691528outputs (90major+18159422minor)pagefaults 0swaps
    lb build failed.

I had anticipated that this was the problem even before starting this
build, so in addition to squid-deb-proxy I had also turned off privoxy
that happens to listen on port 8118, the same port polipo listens on
inside Tails and that we want Tails' apt to use. That setting seems to
be overridden by the environment set in /etc/live/build.conf though, so
that's why it works for us using a caching proxy to build Tails.

I have to run now, so unless someone has fixed this until tomorrow I'll
have a look.

Cheers!