Re: [Tails-dev] Fwd: headsup: new persistency in live-boot

Author: anonym
To: The Tails public development discussion list
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] Fwd: headsup: new persistency in live-boot
04/08/2012 09:10 PM, intrigeri:
> anonym wrote (06 Apr 2012 15:37:18 GMT) :
>> It seems we're much better off shipping the custom built live-boot
>> snapshot that we currently use, modified to use the new name of
>> live.persist (and other string changes related to that file, if any)
>> in combination with a known compatible live-config (e.g. 3.0~a35-1)
>> for Tails 0.11. We deal with proper upstream integration after that.
>
> The new name is live-persistence.conf.
>
> I've pushed an updated tails-persistence-setup binary package into
> feature/persistence.

The 'linkfiles' option was also renamed to simply 'link', so you'll have
to update tails-persistence-setup once more :S.

> So, once you push the updated live-boot and
> live-persist into devel, just merge feature/persistence into there and
> everything should be alright.

I've pushed an updated live-boot (live-persist doesn't need any changes)
into feature/persistence, awaiting the above change. Tests of
live-persist from the command-line was successful, so I'm confident this
should work. In addition my build used live-config 3.0~a35-1 (currently
in Debian unstable), and I think we should settle on that version as
3.0~a36-1 and up intriduce stuff that possibly causes some breakage.

Surprisingly, we still use live-config-sysvinit 2.0.15-1. We really
should've bumped it to the matching version of live-config, but since
nothing seemed to fail during our extensive testing last month, I
suppose we should stay to not risk introducing any breakage. I'm quite
positive that version is completely incompatible with live-config >=
3.0~a36-1.

Also, sorry for the delay of this (and hence the RC), but I wanted to
make really sure that we don't get hit by any other string changes. Now
it seems dba is completely settled on all strings we're affected by.

I couldn't find where, but you asked if we also should switch to the now
default 'persistence' label instead of the current 'TailsData'. TBH I
see no advantage of doing that (we gain nothing to have compatibility
with generic Debian Live, right?) but I'm not against it as that label
is pretty descriptive too. Please push that change into
tails-persistence-setup at the same time as the linkfiles->link change
if you so wish.

Cheers!