Re: [Tails-dev] Please test feature/unsafe-browser

Author: intrigeri
To: The Tails public development discussion list
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] Please test feature/unsafe-browser
Hi,

anonym wrote (27 Mar 2012 21:28:39 GMT) :
> First of all, I just realized one thing the current implementation
> breaks w.r.t. what we decided on IRC when we first discussed the
> Unsafe Browser: the default button in the "really start unsafe
> browser"-dialog is "Yes", not "No" as we decided.

> I was quite shocked to now realize that zenity doesn't have an
> option to change that (like xdialog's --default-no IIRC). The only
> workaround I can think of is to set the text on the "Yes" button to
> "No" and vice versa (and negate the return value), but that switches
> the normal Gnome order of the Yes/No buttons :/.

> If neither of these are acceptable, what could I use instead
> of zenity?

I'm fine with the workaround you suggest.
Any other solution I can think of is totally overkill.

> Quoting intrigeri from #tails:
>> (17:18:33) intrigeri: anonym: I thought one part of the consensus we
> reached was to put the "unsafe browser" in the System -> Administration
> menu, and not in the Internet applications one, but I haven't the irc
> log anymore.

> I can't recall this decision.

> Any way, [...] Besides, I don't think we need to take any further
> steps to make it even more inaccessible.

I don't think we need this either, but I could pretty well live with
it, and I thought it was part of the consensus we reached with great
difficulties; I'm not in the mood of having that discussion again.

It would feel totally stupid, given how hard it was to reach
a decision that was acceptable for everyone present, if nobody had
taken note of it. Hasn't anyone?

If not, let's just keep the current menu placement, be done with it,
and let's be more clever next time.

> (17:47:24) intrigeri: anonym: I'm afraid the unsafe browser new
> feature will be a serious problem for an existing usecase of ours;
> I've therefore created https://tails.boum.org/todo/kiosk_mode/

> Ok. To be continued once we've thought that one through then.

I think the actual need, that would not be satisfied anymore if we
merge feature/unsafe-browser as is, is pretty clear: Tails has been
used for a while in places where one wants to allow some kind of
public to access the Internet, but one does not want to allow them to
easily access it without using Tor.

There's a proposed solution: "remove the unsafe browser user and
launcher". I just added a note to the wiki page about entering the
kiosk mode.

I don't think every need listed on that page must be implemented
before we ship some minimal implementation of the kiosk mode, at least
to fix the regression we're discussing. The other listed needs are
more of the "would be nice" category, and shall not block this
fix IMHO.