Re: [Tails-dev] documentation work for Tails 0.11

Author: intrigeri
To: The Tails public development discussion list
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] documentation work for Tails 0.11
sajolida wrote (21 Mar 2012 18:38:02 GMT) :
>     - Resetting a USB stick, for Linux
>     - Resetting a USB stick, for Windows
> This will document how to reset a USB stick to a good-old MBR +
> FAT32 partition table. That's sometimes required when the USB
> installer doesn't manage to overwrite a manually install USB sticks

On the one hand, recent enough liveusb-creator should not need any
such thing anymore (report bugs if I'm wrong)...

> or when you want to definitely erase Tails from a USB stick, and use
> it for something else.

... on the other hand, this is still needed.

>     - Selecting an architecture
> The syslinux screen will now show a list of processor architectures to
> choose from 386, 686-pae, amd64 and failsafe. Explain what this is all
> about.

In short: try amd64; if success, great; else try 686-pae; if success,
great; else try 386; if success, great; else report a bug.

For the curious ones who wonder why we gave up the autodetection
feature for this iteration --> https://tails.boum.org/todo/nx_bit/

>     - Language and keyboard layout
> This will document how to change those settings in Tails greeter.

Does this really need any documentation at all?
I think any need for documentation, in this precise area, is likely to
be a GUI bug, but that's maybe a bit too extreme a statement.

>     - Create a persistent storage
> There is a graphical tool to create the persistent storage, then you
> need to reboot to activate it.

s/create/create and configure/
The following "Configure a persistent storage" step is automatically
run after the bootstrap one.

>     - Configure a persistent storage
> There is a graphical tool to select what you want to store in the
> persistent storage (files, OpenPGP keys, Pidgin profiles, etc.). This
> page will document the various options.

Note: currently, unselecting a previously persistent item does *not*
delete the files on the persistent storage volume. In the future, the
UI may warn about it, but currently, I think the doc should.

> Any comments? Anything missing?

Great plans, congrats!