[Tails-dev] Ship iceweasel -esr branch?

Author: intrigeri
To: tails-dev
Subject: [Tails-dev] Ship iceweasel -esr branch?
Hi,

until now, we've been shipping the latest iceweasel (-release branch),
because it was the only relatively cheap way for us to get a "recent
enough" iceweasel for Tails needs.

Debian Wheezy will ship with iceweasel "Extended Support Release"
instead:

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/organizations/faq/
https://wiki.mozilla.org/Enterprise/Firefox/ExtendedSupport:Proposal

Currently, that release branch is available in mozilla.debian.net's
Squeeze (iceweasel-esr) repository, and in Debian sid (currently,
that's 10.0.3esr-2), while the -release branch (currently, that's
11.0-2) is in Debian experimental.

I think we should do the same as Debian Wheezy.

Deciding to follow the -release branch instead would have a few
drawbacks for us:
- continuously need to wait and cherry-pick updated add-ons from sid
(as we've been doing for a while, breaks the build process more
often than not)
- no security support from the Debian security team
- more work to get a new iceweasel, that fixes this or that serious
security issues, integrated into Tails, due to the need to do
a major iceweasel upgrade => more days of exposure to security bugs
for Tails users

Thoughts?