Re: [Tails-dev] next big features: status update

Author: intrigeri
To: The Tails public development discussion list
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] next big features: status update
sajolida wrote (20 Mar 2012 13:57:31 GMT) :
> If we say that this option is mainly aimed at advanced users, and
> that it requires extra manual actions, and reading the doc to be
> really used, then maybe it shouldn't be enabled by default in the
> first place (and could stay at the bottom of the list of course).

Yeah. t-p-s 0.9 will have "dotfiles" preset disabled by default.

> By the way, I never got a /dotfiles directory created in the
> persistent storage even with this options enabled. I guess that
> helped me getting confused.

Known issue, anonym will fix that in live-boot/live-persist.

>>> 6. Right after bootstrapping a persistent storage if I try to rerun the
>>> configuration it fails:
>>> - the GUI says "Error: Device /org/freedesktop/UDisk/devices/sdb already
>>> has a persistent volume." which is true but shouldn't prevent me from
>>> changing its configuration.
>>> - the CLI (tails-persistence-setup --step configure) says "Error:
>>> Persistence is not enabled."
>>
>> Added to the todo list. Release blocker.

Should be fixed in t-p-s 0.9.

>>> 7. To get out of this situation I tried to delete the persistent storage
>>> I just created, but the deletion step hangs when doing this sequence:
>>> - bootstrap & configure
>>> - delete → hangs
>>> - delete again → ok
>>
>>> With the GUI the spinner spins (forever?), and with the CLI I get:
>>
>>> Working on device /org/freedesktop/UDisks/devices/sdb
>>> Running step delete
>>> Entering main Gtk2 loop.
>>> Deleting partition /org/freedesktop/UDisks/devices/sdb2
>>> *** unhandled exception in callback:
>>> *** org.freedesktop.UDisks.Error.Failed: Error locking luks device:
>>> timeout (10s) waiting for cleartext device to be removed
>>
>> Aaaaah... *that* udisks bug :(
>>
>> Can you please check if it's been reported in Debian and/or upstream?
>> I think that timeout may simply be too short for slow USB devices.

Should be workaround'd in t-p-s 0.9, but I can't reproduce the bug to
start with, so someone else will have to concur or disagree.

>>> 10. It seems like you need to reboot after configuring
>>>     (reconfiguring as well?)

>> Yes, as well.
>>
>>>     the persistent storage. That should be made explicit.

>> Duplicate. Release blocker.

Done in 0.9.

>>> Rebooting
>>> ---------
>>
>>> Now when I reboot I'm proposed to use persistence in TailsGreeter!
>>
>>> 11. The configuration GUI now shows a custom entry for /persistent, see
>>> persistent.png in attachment.
>>
>> Duplicate.

Fixed in 0.9.