Re: [Tails-l10n] Help on how to l10n

Poista viesti

Vastaa
Lähettäjä: sajolida
Päiväys:
Vastaanottaja: Tails localization discussion
Aihe: Re: [Tails-l10n] Help on how to l10n
Alfredo Rubio:
> Hi:

Hi Alfredo, and welcome on the list!

I was glad to see all your translations on the website. You're doing a
good job! I'll answer more linguistic matters in a separate mail, not to
bother the other translators. But the following might be interesting for
them as well.

> I've been translating to spanish some texts from the Tails website,
> although it has been hard. The Tails Project has liked me too much.
> Ideas as the camouflage theme, though maybe isn't so effective, it's
> great :)
>
> I need help, I've readed the section "Improve Tails in your own
> language", but can't see how to:
>
>   * links using the [[!wikipedia ENGLISH_PAGE]] shortcut should be
> translated
>     into [[!wikipedia_fr FRENCH_PAGE]]

>   * screenshots that were not translated must *not* be linked in
>     msgstr's, as if it was translated: when one does so, we lose the
>     information that there's some work remaining to be done.

> I mean, how to link in spanish? where is setup the url? or how to quote
> Wikipedia's spanish texts?
>
> like this?
>
> [[!wikipedia_es Persistencia_de_datos]].
>
> Not functioned.

This kinds of shortcuts are defined in a special file (shortcuts.mdwn)
and we were indeed missing the shortcut for the Spanish wikipedia. It's
added now, and you can do:

[[!wikipedia_es Persistencia_de_datos desc="Wikipedia: %s\"]]

Those links to Wikipedia are used for two different purposes:

1. Acknowledge a quote from them; that's a licensing issue and I would
say that this requires to link the original article from which we
translated. Can people more knowledgeable about Wikipedia tell us what
we should actually do regarding that?

2. Add a link to the definition of a word, or if the reader wants to
learn more about a technical matter. Those ones should be "translated"
in the sense that if a Wikipedia article, or another source provides a
similar information, say in Spanish, then we should link to this one and
not the English version.

Sometimes a link do both, and that where I have a doubt. Maybe we should
link both (the first one for licensing, and the second on for
translation) or just the second one. In the first case a possible
translation would be:

msgid ""
"<p class=\"quoted-from\">Quoted from [[!wikipedia Secure_file_deletion\n"
"desc=\"Wikipedia: %s\"]].</p>\n"
msgstr ""
"<p class=\"quoted-from\">Traducido de [[!wikipedia Secure_file_deletion\n"
"desc=\"Wikipedia: %s\"]].<br/>Véase también [[!wikipedia_es "
"Persistencia_de_datos desc="Wikipedia: %s\"]]</p>\n"

This would apply for other links as well. On the "About" page for
example there is link in English saying:

- Tor overview: Why we need Tor

If a translation for this page exists I would link it. But otherwise if
we're still linking to an English page I wouldn't bother translation
it's title. And if we do, I would mention that the linked page is in
English. So if we really want to translation the title that would become:

- Acerca de Tor: Porqué necesitamos Tor (en inglés)

> And how, on poedit, link a image uploaded?

Regarding the screenshot translations and the upload issue. It seems
like you are using the web interface, so the images are added to pages
as "attachments". For example, if you edit the "Secure deletion" page
and click on "Attachments" at the bottom of the page you will see all
the corresponding screenshots, with some of them already translated into
French, for example:

https://tails.boum.org/doc/encryption_and_privacy/secure_deletion/wipe_available_diskspace.png
https://tails.boum.org/doc/encryption_and_privacy/secure_deletion/wipe_available_diskspace.fr.png

I guess you should do the same for the Spanish. Be careful, it seems
like you have to add your translated screenshots as attachments of the
original page, not of the translation. Could others confirm?

> Something else, someone speak spanish?

I do but I'm not a native speaker.

--
sajolida