Re: [Tails-dev] Testing Tails 0.10.1-rc1

Autor: intrigeri
Para: The Tails public development discussion list
Asunto: Re: [Tails-dev] Testing Tails 0.10.1-rc1
Hi,

anonym wrote (27 Jan 2012 17:48:39 GMT) :
> Here's my progress of testing the next point release. I did all the
> actual in-session tests, but didn't have time for verifying that the
> wipe worked :/.

I did almost everything else than tests. ISO image uploaded and
waiting on primary servers. I'll do the last remaining steps in
"Update the website and Git repository" today.

anonym, can you do the wipe mem tests on Monday?
As soon as this is done, we can push the release out.

See various answers and reports bellow.

> Responds to commands: ping version

What does it respond? If you deem it necessary, would you please
create a todo/* ticket?

> * verify that all destinations reached from an intensive Tails session
> are tor routers or authorities:

> I did this and got a spook: 217.70.182.162 was a destination! Reverse
> DNS yields: cpc-prod2.canardpc.com which I never tried to
> contact. Visiting http://canardpc.comif results in a french computer
> related website. Err...

> When I actually looked at the dump and filtered for that IP address
> the only thing I found was two ICMP "destination unreachable" packets,
> so our firewall blocked it, which is good. But I wonder what generated
> this non-torified request, as that application obviously leaks. I did
> practically the whole test during the session the dump covers so it's
> hard for me to tell. The only application that seems reasonable is
> iceweasel, which is a bit discomforting.

> I'm not sure how to proceed on this one.

I'd be curious to know what exact application is leaking, but well,
I see no reason to worry too much: this is the kind of things the
removal of the transparent proxy is meant to protect against.

My random guess would be some iceweasel extension, but take it for
what it's worth: a random guess.

> NOT DONE
> ========

> ## Source

> Thanks to Git tags one can easily compare the to-be-released source
> code with previous version's one e.g.:

>     git diff 0.6.1..stable

done.

> ## Result

> `wdiff -l` makes it easy to compare the list of bundled packages and
> versions with the one shipped last time e.g.:

>     wdiff -l wiki/src/torrents/files/tails-i386-lenny-0.6.1.packages \
>       tails-i386-lenny-0.7.packages | less

done.

> # erase memory on shutdown

> Testing that the needed files are really mapped in memory, and the
> erasing process actually works, involves slightly more complicated
> steps that are worth [[a dedicated page|test/erase_memory_on_shutdown]].

not done.