Re: [Tails-dev] Please correct obsolete statements about Tai…

Author: intrigeri
To: Maxim Kammerer
CC: tails-dev
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] Please correct obsolete statements about Tails
Hi again,

Maxim Kammerer wrote (20 Jan 2012 20:34:11 GMT) :
> On Fri, Jan 20, 2012 at 12:52, intrigeri <intrigeri@???> wrote:

> Indeed, I removed the transparent proxying parts.

Thank you.

>> While you're at it, the features comparison in the
>> "Privacy-Enhancing Live Distribution" applies to Tails 0.8 and is
>> worth an update (e.g. we've removed the HTP user firewall exception
>> for months).

I think you forgot to remove the item I was giving as an example:
"Absence of in-the-clear communication" is still there and erroneously
pointing to the HTP user firewall exception task.

>>  * What kind of "Configurable multilingualization and UI
>>    internationalization" has Liberté over Tails?

> Maybe I misunderstood the purpose of the GSoC-sponsored work on the
> Tails greeter.

It may be.

> Liberté has all the UI/input languages and relevant fonts bundled in
> ready form, no need to run "localedef" or anything like that.
> There is a customization dialog for selecting UI language and
> timezone (and, recently, keyboard layout).

There's for sure room for improvements, but I don't see what Tails
lacks from this list. Differences are:

  * We've decided to use a fixed UTC timezone for everybody, to avoid
    partitioning the anonymity set in case it would leak. So we call
    this a feature.
  * Locales are generated at run time to save some disk space at the
    expense of a few more seconds at boot time.

> When I added that item, fonts were still added and removed from
> https://tails.boum.org/todo/localization_at_runtime/.

We're still improving the list of additional fonts we might want to
ship in the future. This fonts list is part of a "Resources" section,
and arguably would be worth being moved to another, dedicated page.

> What does this line mean: “Add an Incognito-like boot menu to choose
> the language at runtime, instead of building per-language images.”?

Thank you for noticing this outdated sentence. Removed.

>>  * What kind of "Browser timezone sanitation" does Liberté do that
>>    Tails does not?

> Liberté supports timezones, but sets the browser timezone to UTC
> separately. I.e., pretty much what the “rethink timezones” page
> talks about.

The ticket you're mentioning was closed when we decided to keep UTC
for everybody, that is a few months ago.

Regards,