Re: [Tails-dev] Icedove modifications

Author: intrigeri
To: The Tails public development discussion list
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] Icedove modifications
Hi,

>>> * ssl_only really does two separate things:
>>
>>>     1. It forces SSL for *fetching* configs.
>>>     2. It forces SSL or STARTTLS in the *resulting* configuration when
>>>        *guessing* the config.

>>> Is this confusing?
>>
>> Anything else would look strongly inconsistent to me, at least in the
>> threat model I think we're considering. So I don't find it confusing.
>>
>> OTOH, I don't understand what exactly "*resulting*" means above, so
>> I may very well be entirely confused wrt. how ssl_only behaves in
>> GuessConfig city.

> With resulting I just meant the fetched config after it has been parsed.

Ok. And what do you mean by "it forces ... in the resulting", then?
Refusing to save and/or use non-SSL parts? Forcibly turn SSL on
(StartTLS? SSL?), regardless of the fetched configuration?

>> OTOH, I would find it great if we could make it clear to them what
>> risk they are taking. How hard would it be to implement this? (This
>> would be a low-priority enhancement: I don't think our current
>> Claws Mail setup has anything to say against SSL.)

> Turned out to be easier than I initially thought (thanks, exceptions!).

:)

>> In any case, the current situation makes the "Only use secure
>> protocols" checkbox a wrong statement, isn't it?

> You're right. Implemented (PATCH 6/6).

Ok.

> Since we have no icedove repo to push to

Oops, sorry, I mentionned we should get one the other day, but I did
not actually ask for it. Going to do this soon.

> I post my current work here

A Git bundle would be more useful in case anyone wants to seriously
have a look / improve / suggest.

$ git help bundle