[Tails-l10n] Tails 0.11 release plan

Autor: intrigeri
Para: tails-dev
CC: tails-l10n
Temas novos: Re: [Tails-dev] Tails 0.11 release plan, Re: [Tails-dev] Tails 0.11 release plan
Asunto: [Tails-l10n] Tails 0.11 release plan
Hi,

Facts and fictions:

  - Firefox 10: 2012-01-03
  - Firefox 11: 2012-03-13
  - Firefox 12: 2012-04-24
  - about 1-2 weeks, after a given Firefox release, before iceweasel
    and the addons suite catch up
  - Tor 0.2.3 final: "nickm: I'd like to be able to promise 0.2.3.x by
    end-of-march, but I have no way to guarantee that"

So it seems reasonable to me to aim at April 20th for the next major
Tails release; Tor 0.2.3 may be ready in time to get in there, but it
may well not be; who knows; Tails 0.11 would ship iceweasel 11.

This means in a bit more than three months. We could use a bit more
than two months for development, and one full months for bug fixing,
testing and release process; that would be something like:

2012-03-20: big features freeze
.... documentation writers and translators, heads up ....
2012-04-01: deep freeze and RC1
.... test test test ....
.... any number of release candidates ....
2012-04-20: Tails 0.11 final

This late? Yeah. We'll have to ship one or two quick point-releases
until then anyway. So there's room for bug fixing.

My feeling for these last three months is that preparing releases ate
a bit too much time; fast-paced releases are exciting and great and
all, but I think we currently need more time to *focus* on and
complete a few big, major pieces of work:

- on the features side, I'm thinking of USB installer, persistence and
tails-greeter
- on the infrastructure side, I'm thinking of APT repository, new web
forum, and Git split
- I'm not aware of specific goals on the documentation and translation
sides, but I'm convinced more high quality work will be done in
these areas, as it's been constantly the case for a while.

We may not do all of this in three months, and we probably will do
a lot of other things in the meantime, but I guess you get the idea.

What do you think?