Re: [Tails-dev] Tests without transparent proxying

Autor: anonym
Para: The Tails public development discussion list
Asunto: Re: [Tails-dev] Tests without transparent proxying
12/05/2011 04:14 PM, anonym:
> 12/05/2011 02:08 AM, anonym:
>> 12/02/2011 10:15 PM, intrigeri:
>>>
>>>   - "Torify seahorse": does Seahorse really ignore the global GNOME
>>>     HTTP proxy settings? Bug report?

>> When I did the tests the indymedia hidden service were unavailable, so I
>> tried hkp://keys.gnupg.net, which consistently failed without even
>> listing a connection in vidalia. Using torify immediately made it work.
>>
>> Some minutes ago I booted up the same build and noticed that the hidden
>> service is back up. Somewhat surprisingly, searching and fetching keys
>> works without using torify. Did I have gremlins in my tubes earlier? No,
>> it seems. If I switch to keys.gnupg.net I still get the same problems as
>> I experienced before. Perplexing. I'll investigate this further
>> tomorrow. Wild guess: it has something to do with .onions getting
>> remapped by Tor to a virtual address (see the AutomapHosts* and
>> VirtualAddrNetwork options in torrc).
>
> My guess seems correct. After adding .net to AutomapHostsSuffixes I can
> confirm that keys.gnupg.net works without torify. This also made Gnome
> VFS FTP work on .net hosts. It seems Tor's remapping to virtual
> addresses + our previous transparent socks proxying made things very
> easy for us...

Allow me to lol. I noticed that simply opening Gnome's proxy settings,
switching from to "direct connection" and back to "manual" solves all
this. It turns out gconf's /syste/http_proxy/use_http_proxy is set to
false, and the voodoo I did in the Gnome proxy settings set it to true.
Talk about me over-complicating stuff. Fixed in devel (commit eb88106).

Cheers!