[Tails-dev] Preparing 0.8.1

Poista viesti

Vastaa
Lähettäjä: intrigeri
Päiväys:
Vastaanottaja: tails-dev
Aihe: [Tails-dev] Preparing 0.8.1
Hi,

we released 0.8 on September 21st. Since then,

- the Linux kernel was updated twice in sid, fixing a great number of
bugs and a fair number of CVEs [1]
- the infamous .doc importation -related bug in OpenOffice.org was
fixed in Debian stable security updates (DSA-2315-1)
- iceweasel was updated once in Debian stable security updates, fixing
very ugly security issues. The next bugfix release in the 3.6.x
branch is scheduled [2] for November 8, and usually lands into
Debian two days later.

[1] http://packages.debian.org/changelogs/pool/main/l/linux-2.6/linux-2.6_3.0.0-5/changelog
[2] https://wiki.mozilla.org/Releases#Other_releases

I think we should release 0.8.1 ASAP, e.g. at the end of next week
(that is October 14). If we wait longer, it will start to be worth
waiting for the next Firefox security update, and doing so would bring
the delay between 0.8 and 0.8.1 to something close to two months, and
we'll have enough stuff ready to release 0.9. Which is an alternative,
although a little bit sad, in case we are not able to release 0.8.1
soon.

While looking at the devel branch for patches I'd like to cherry-pick
into 0.8.1, it seems to me almost all changes in there could be worth
it. It seems to me more are, and only a few (namely: the move to
CookieSafe) seem to belong to 0.9 instead. I have a hard time making
an opinion between all or nothing here, and cherry-picking 15 patches
out of 17 has revealed painful on the long run in the past. Maybe we
should do that anyway, and then move on to get other stuff ready for a
quick 0.9 release (I'm thinking of feature/plymouth, feature/tordate
and feature/truecrypt-7.1).

What do you think?

Bye,
--