[Tails-dev] Please review and test feature/tordate

Poista viesti

Vastaa
Lähettäjä: intrigeri
Päiväys:
Vastaanottaja: tails-dev
Aihe: [Tails-dev] Please review and test feature/tordate
Hi,

I eventually got fed up with HTP-related issues reports enough to
implement the new time setting system we designed quite a long time
ago, and validated only recently.

Please review and test feature/tordate.

The feature was documented there:
https://tails.boum.org/todo/remove_the_htp_user_firewall_exception/
... but I've left in a pretty bad shape some time ago, so the Git
branch log should greatly help understand what's happening.
The design doc update is missing, I'll do it once we merge this into
devel.

According to my quick initial tests (most of this was developed
offline):

  - in the general case i.e. system time is quite correct: Tor and
    Internet are immediately usable, no need to wait for HTP
  - when the system time is wrong by a few hours: Tor and Internet are
    usable much sooner than previously
  - when the system time is way off: not tested yet
  - htpdate (now torified) seems to fail a bit too often to my taste;
    perhaps the shiny new Tor has a hard time establishing circuits,
    resolving DNS and retrieving files from the web; needs to be
    investigated; note to myself: if htpdate forwarded wget's stderr,
    things would get easier to debug. It may may make sense to wait
    for cached-descriptors (see tor_is_running function in 20-time.sh)
    before running htpdate / touch'ing $TORDATE_DONE_FILE.

Bye,
--
intrigeri <intrigeri@???>