[Tails-dev] Tails-greeter UI and gtkme

Author: alan
To: tails-dev
New-Topics: [Tails-dev] ***SPAM*** Re: Tails-greeter UI and gtkme
Subject: [Tails-dev] Tails-greeter UI and gtkme

Hi,

I started to have a look at tails-greeter UI and how to make it more
usable and compliant with our specifications so that we can use it in a
future version of Tails, hopefully 0.9.

The first issue I worked on is the language selection windows. We want
some kind of panel, similar to the one gdm3's gdm-simple-greeter is
using.

That raised several issues with gtkme. An example is that gtkme made
python segfault while using a GtkBuilder file containing an HBox. I had
to workaround this issue using a GtkTable. But that's not the key
question.

gtkme seems buggy and undocumented. I have no idea which problem it's
supposed to solve, but I'm under the impression that keep maintaining
a tails-greeter that is using it will be a pain, while some of us have
skills in normal pygtk programming. So I'm wondering wether we should
try to get rid of it or not.

Max, do you know how strongly gtkme is tighten with tails-greeter code?
Max and Tails developpers, do you think it's worth putting energy in
porting tails-greeter to plain gtk or it's better to try to maintain it
using gtkme?

Cheers,

Alan