Re: [Tails-dev] tails-greeter: admin password, set-user-pass…

CC: tails-dev
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] tails-greeter: admin password, set-user-password-and-locale
16.08.2011 15:52, intrigeri пишет:

> 1. The /var/lib/gdm3/tails.password file must not be created in a
>    world-readable manner.

Fixed via os.chmod - didn't manage to make os.umask work for some reason.

> 2. The password is written to this file without any kind of quoting,
>    then the file is interpreted by a shell. Seems obvious some kind of
>    passwords won't work, doesn't it?

True. Now 'quote' from pipes module used.
Not sure if that's enough though.

> 3. set-user-password-and-locale error handling makes me doubtful.
>    It seems to me such code is hiding fatal error conditions under the
>    carpet:

>      . /etc/live/config.d/username || exit 0
>      if [ -z "${LIVE_USERNAME}" ] ; then
>         exit 0
>      fi

>    How about echo'ing something to STDERR at least?

Simple file logging added. Maybe in future syslog should be used instead.

> 4. /etc/sudoers.d/ directory seems not enabled yet, but I think it
>    should be unconditionally enabled at image build time by a
>    chroot_local-hooks, rather than at logon time.

It seems to be enabled in squeeze by default: /etc/sudoers contain
'#includedir /etc/sudoers.d' directive.
If it's not enabled in tails than there's some code (in *hooks maybe) which disable
it. How can we find it?

> 5. namespace
>
>    I see those files are deleted when no admin password was entered:
>      rm -f /etc/polkit-1/localauthority.conf.d/52-tails.conf
>      rm -f /etc/sudoers.d/tails.conf
>    I understand why such cleanup is useful, but it reveals
>    tails-greeter considers those files as its own files, it is the
>    only one to manage, i.e. it takes over generic file names. I think
>    s/tails.conf/tails-greeter.conf would be appropriate.

Fixed in git.

> 6. does not work twice-in-a-row
>
>    When LIVE_USERNAME's has had a password set once by tails-greeter,
>    then login, then logout, back at tails-greeter: tails-greeter does
>    not allow login, presumably because it does its autologin with
>    hardcoded password black magic tricks with the default / old /
>    obsolete password. This is a blocker. Using regular GDM autologin
>    functionality seems like the sane way to fix this.

Agree. Proper fix will take some time so I'll add it to known-issues list (yet to be
written).

>    A quick'n'dirty way to hide the underlying problem, and have things
>    working right now, is to reset the LIVE_USERNAME's password to the
>    default one, in set-user-password-and-locale, in if [ -z
>    "${TAILS_USER_PASSWORD}" ].

If we change password in set-user-password-and-locale than we effectively ignore
whatever user entered as password. Either I've misunderstood it or it's hardly a fix.

bye,
Max.