Re: [Tails-dev] ***SPAM*** [gsoc] tails-greeter progress rep…

Author: bertagaz
To: The Tails public development discussion list, govnototalitarizm
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] ***SPAM*** [gsoc] tails-greeter progress report
On Fri, Aug 12, 2011 at 08:13:41PM +0800, † wrote:
> Hello.
>
> Current progress:
>
>     write password for config/chroot_local-includes/usr/local/sbin/set-user-password
> to file - DONE.
>     alter set-user-password to use password from file - DONE.
>     merge language and layout widget to single panel - DONE.
>     write locale name for localedef to file - DONE.
>     add locale generator which uses data from file - DONE.
>     fix layout selection for greeter session - DONE.
>     add double password entry to prevent typos - DONE.
>     use SelectLayout in GDM - DONE.
>     add layout selection to panel - DONE.
>     use separate layouts for greeter and for user session - DONE.

As we discussed on IRC, this is not a feature that appears to be
interesting.

The choosen layout *must* be applied automatically in the
greeter when it is changed/chosen, without user intervention (i.e pressing
ALT+SHIFT), so that users don't get fooled by forgetting or missing this
step and are sure to use this layout when choosing the session password.

If users wants another layout to type their password, then they must press
ALT+SHIFT.

>     display panel and password widget on the same screen - DONE.
>     add layout indicator to greeter - DONE.
>     properly generate list of available layouts - in progress
>     version tag and update - DONE.

> Problems:
>
> Generation of layout list based on language or locale is incomplete - it works only
> for some well-tested cases (e. g. Русский). More testing required for other languages
> and general code refactoring needed as well.
>
> Near-future plans:
>
> Finish layout generation code.
> Update documentation.
> Other plans from timeline.
>
> Additional notes:
>
> Please test how it works for YOUR favorite language.
> The GSoC is almost over - next week is the time for final wrap-ups.

Actually, v0.0.7 doesn't work for me. On installation, I get an error
detected in line 67 of langpanel.py. Guess it's enough for you to find it.
You should *really* test your release before sending such an email.

bert.