[Tails-dev] Anonymous Blogging with WordPress and Tor

Author: sajolida
To: tails-dev
Subject: [Tails-dev] Anonymous Blogging with WordPress and Tor

Hi,

Yesterday, while checking the EDRI blog [1] subtitled « Digital Civil
Rights in Europe » (which is quite interesting even tough a bit
technocratic) I stepped upon [2] a document called « Anonymous Blogging
with WordPress and Tor » [3].

It's a very basic guide on using Tor to blog with WordPress. It explains
how to use the Tor Browser Bundle from Windows, create disposable
webmail addresses, blog with WordPress, etc. It seems like has has
received a good media coverage, it has been partly linked by the EFF [4]
and the author is being pretty active at adovcating it to NGOs,
organizing workshops, etc.

But, honestly, reading it from a Tails perspective has been a slightly
scary experience and I think it could be worth getting in touch with
them and propose a review of the document. For example, suggesting them
to advocate Tails instead of TBB would probably make the whole document
shorter and the proposed practices more secure.

For example, let me just quote two parts where I guess we could suggest
worthy improvements:

« Step 5: Cover your tracks
a) Securely erase the rough drafts of the post you made from your laptop
or home machine. [...]
b) Clear your browser history, cookies and passwords from Firefox. [...] »

Using Tails would definitely simplify this part and make it more secured.

« A final thought on anonymity: If you don’t really need to be
anonymous, don’t be. If your name is associated with your words, people
are likely to take your words seriously. But some people are going to
need to be anonymous, and that’s why this guide exists. Just please
don’t use these techniques unless you really need to. »

Explaining a bit about anonymity sets wouldn't hurt ;)

I'm ready to this work if we find it interesting.

[1] http://edri.org/
[2] http://edri.org/edrigram/number9.13/reading
[3] http://advocacy.globalvoicesonline.org/projects/guide/
[4] https://www.eff.org/wp/blog-safely