Re: [Tails-dev] [gsoc] tails-greeter progress report

Author: intrigeri
To: The Tails public development discussion list
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] [gsoc] tails-greeter progress report
Hi,

† wrote (24 Jun 2011 02:12:06 GMT) :
> -    fix errors reported by pylint - DONE (some errors still there).

My pylint reports no error. Beware not letting the pile of warnings
grow bigger and bigger, else it will prove difficult to sort these out
once the code is bigger, working and lacking a testsuite.

> -    bump version properly (git push --tags; git-dch --git-author) -
>      DONE.
> - add pylint conf to ignore dbus-related false positives - DONE (might hide real
> errors too).
> - fix language selector so it's shown and work properly - DONE (.po translations
> are incomplete).

I didn't get it working. Seems like it depends on some kind of
USER_CONFIG (USER_CONFIG = '/home/users/%s.user') configuration file,
whose exact path and content isn't documented on TailsGreeter/install;
when I click one of the languages button, nothing interesting happens
and :0-greeter.log displays:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib/pymodules/python2.6/GdmGreeter/language.py", line 158, in button_clicked
    self.gapp.SelectLanguage(lang)
  File "./community-greeter.py", line 113, in SelectLanguage
    self.user.save(data={ 'language': lang })
  File "/usr/lib/pymodules/python2.6/GdmGreeter/user.py", line 81, in save
    with open(self.filename, 'w') as fhl:
IOError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: u'/home/users/qwe.user'

This does not seem Tails-ish to me. Please set defaults that will work
in Tails, and optionally allow overriding them to fit your dev env.

> - check if current localization handling is suitable for tails-greeter - DONE
> (seems ok if locales are known at the time of package build).

Please explain in the design doc what current limitation requires the
supported languages list (I guess this is what you mean by "locales")
to be known at build time. Please also sum up what possible solutions
you've thought of along with their pros and cons.

> - run external (placeholder) program with adequate parameters on language change
> (locale generation for example) - POSTPONED.

> -    wiki updates (testing instructions and overall status) - DONE.

I don't think so, see above. You indeed updated this early in the
week, but the testing instructions must be *kept* up-to-date.

> - lintian tails-greeter.deb (using .changes file too) - DONE (no errors
> reported).
> -    make login possible - IN_PROGRESS.
> -    add .deb into tails repo - BLOCKED by previous item.
> -    make .iso build (if packages testing-ready) - BLOCKED by previous item.

> Problems

> BeginAutoLogin works as expected but interfacing with existing
> GdmGreeter to send it at the right moment seems trick. Documentation
> complete absent so will have to talk directly with the developer
> about it.

Great idea. Have you already tried reaching the developer(s)?

If this cannot happen in a timely manner, other ways of unblocking
this task must be investigated. Such as...

Is there any way to sniff the D-Bus communication that happens between
gdm-simple-greeter and gdm-greeter-server during autologin?

Other than that, the gdm3 source code seems to be the canonical place
to understand how autologin is supposed to work:

gui/simple-greeter/gdm-greeter-login-window.c
gui/simple-greeter/gdm-greeter-client.c
daemon/gdm-greeter-server.c

Bye,
--