Re: [Tails-dev] [T(A)ILS-dev] Linux kernel shipped in upcomi…

Author: intrigeri
To: The Tails public development discussion list
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] [T(A)ILS-dev] Linux kernel shipped in upcoming 0.7.x
Hi,

intrigeri wrote (28 Apr 2011 13:57:29 GMT) :
> Anyway:

> 1. Current Debian's 2.6.38 does not bring us LZMA/XZ SquashFS
>    compression support (Debian bug #613658).

This was fixed in sid's 2.6.39.

> 2. Installing 2.6.38 forces us to include a home-made backport of the
>    virtualbox-ose-guest-* 4.0.x packages, since Squeeze's 3.2.10
>    packages are not compatible with Linux 2.6.38. Seems like 3.2.12
>    may fix it, but it's unlikely to land into any official Debian
>    repository targeted at Squeeze unless we put special effort in
>    this, which I doubt.

virtualbox packages compatible with 2.6.38+ are now on backports.d.o,
so this one is no blocker anymore.

> => I'm in favour of waiting at least for #1 to be resolved on the
> Debian side. Regarding #2 I'm undecided. May be worth asking the
> Debian Virtualbox Team for their plans about maintaining backports
> for Squeeze.

I'm still in favour of shipping Squeeze's kernel in next
point-release. For 0.8, I'm much less sure, we'll see how our timing
meets Debian's one on that.

Bye,
--
intrigeri <intrigeri@???>