Re: [Tails-dev] Small patch to mute sound on boot time

Author: intrigeri
To: The Tails public development discussion list
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] Small patch to mute sound on boot time
Hi,

CAN Consulting wrote (30 May 2011 12:40:25 GMT) :
> Thank you! I attached a tiny patch in this mail.
> It adds only three lines to alsa-utils and uses an already built-in function
> in alsa-utils to mute all channels of the sound cards in a system.

Thanks. Sounds much better.

> Your idea seems to me much better choice than adding new
> configuration files and scripts.

I did *not* suggest to patch the initscript shipped by Debian, but
rather to use the sound levels restore features it provides to achieve
what you want to. Isn't it possible? See the restore_levels function
that restores levels from /var/lib/alsa/asound.state. Isn't it
possible to prepare such a state file that would mute the soundcards?

If this reveals to be impossible, we may indeed end up going the
initscript patching way, but I would like to be certain we have no
better choice.

> Is there a (design/maintenance/...) reason why there is only one
> patch file in the chroot_include-patches directory (besides just not
> needing many patches)? The only downside I see with this patch
> compared to a new init script is that whenever alsa-utils changes
> the patch has to be changed too. But then, it's only a very small
> patch and can be adapted easily to alsa-utils changes.

IMHO, maintaining such patches is 1. a pain; 2. very much error-prone:
the actual patch update work may not be hard, but how do you notice,
in the first place, that the patch needs to be updated? It may apply
cleanly against a newer upstream / Debian version *without* doing the
job it's supposed to.

Bye,
--
intrigeri <intrigeri@???>