[Tails-dev] Preparing 0.7.2... and starting to think of 0.8

Author: intrigeri
To: tails-dev
Subject: [Tails-dev] Preparing 0.7.2... and starting to think of 0.8
Hi,

mostly because of the ugly DSA-2228, I'd like us to prepare Tails
0.7.2 point-release. Yeah, already.

[0] http://www.debian.org/security/2011/dsa-2228

Only one relevant bugfix was cherry-picked into the stable maintenance
branch already:

commit f833fd7 "Disable Torbutton's external application launch warning."

I think we should release Tails 0.7.2 soon from the current stable
branch's content, mostly to get updated packages from the Debian
archive. I think this could happen this week without putting that much
effort in it.

Cherry-picking more (not-that-much tested) improvements from devel
into stable would IMHO delay the release by a great lot (e.g. require
preparing and uploading a ~rc1), so I'd rather to avoid it.

Also, while we've been cherry-picking important fixes from devel into
{stable, testing} since 0.7 was released (3 months ago, already!),
other great stuff, such as the accessibility tools installation, has
been waiting in devel since then. I think the current stable..devel
delta is enough of a justification to stop diverging and start
preparing 0.8.

=> Proposal:

1. Release 0.7.2 from current stable maintenance branch *soon*
(if I missed one or a few commits that safely fix important bugs,
please quickly raise your hand).

2. Start thinking of releasing 0.8,
   i.e. enter pre-freeze time,
   i.e. time to:
     - report that annoying 0.7.x bug that you've been meaning to report
       for weeks ;)
     - test the great new features and make them robust enough to be
       shipped (I'm for example thinking of bridges support)
     - implement the new feature you want to push into 0.8.2
       (preferably in a topic branch to ease release management, as
       unfinished / unpolished stuff in devel is a pain to deal with
       at release time); e.g. it seems like we could eventually
       replace onboard with something better: Florence.
   => aiming at a freeze that would start in 3 weeks (Tuesday, June 7th)

What do you think?

Bye,
--
intrigeri <intrigeri@???>